HOLLYWOOD UNITED NEIGHBORHOOD COUNCIL
EDUCATION & YOUTH COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
WEDNESDAY, JULY 12, 2006
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF HOLLYWOOD
COMMUNITY ROOM - UPPER TERRACE, 6054 YUCCA ST Los Angeles, CA
AGENDA ITEMS: ALL ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION AND ACTION
1. Welcome – Meeting called to order at 6:11pm
Stakeholder present: Gary Slossberg (Committee Chair, Board of Directors), Norma Foster (Board of Directors), Jennifer Christie
2. Approval of Minutes from 5/2/06 and 6/6/06 Committee Meetings – Minutes approved.
3. Public Comment: Items not on the Agenda – no public comment items
4. Old Business – no old business presented
5. New Business
A. Mayor's Day of Service Brainstorming – The committee determined that it needs to find out the exact date and theme of the Mayor’s Day of Service. Norma reported that she believe the Mayor’s Day of Service is scheduled for sometime in October. The committee recommended that we request to the Mayor’s office that the Mayor’s Day of Service be on a Saturday. The committee discussed involving Hollywood Land Girls’ Camp. There were preliminary plans to involve them at the last Mayor’s Day of Service, but they had another event on the same day. They might be available to be a part of the event this year.
The committee also suggested focusing service projects on the senior community, by involving seniors in the projects and conducting projects that benefit them. One suggested idea was to have a Emergency Preparedness Event for Seniors and for Persons with Disabilities, to know where they are in the time of emergency to help them out.
B. Firefighter Festival Brainstorming – Last year, HUNC was the only NC involved in the Firefighter Festival. HUNC had a table at the event, bought two memorial blocks, sponsored an Essay and Art Contest at Cheremoya, and helped plan the Torch Run to Cheremoya. The committee set the following goals for this year’s Firefighter Festival:
- Involved all schools in the area, particularly Immaculate Heart
- Have an Essay and Art Contest focused on individual safety: what would you do if there was a fire at home? Kids could write about safety plans, how to put out a fire at home, an escape plan, etc.
Meeting adjourned at 6:33pm.