Social Services & Homelessness Committee
Monday, December 16, 2019, 7:00 PM
Fire Station 82 Annex
1800 N. BRONSON AVENUE, L.A., CA 90028
Second Floor Conference Room
The public is requested to fill out a "Speaker Card" to address the Board on any item of the agenda prior to the Board taking action on an item. Comments from the public on Agenda items will be heard only when the respective item is being considered. Comments from the public on other matters not appearing on the Agenda that is within the Board's subject matter jurisdiction will be heard during the Public Comment period. Public comment is limited to 2 minutes per speaker, for a maximum of 20 minutes total for Public comment, unless waived by the presiding officer of the Board. Agenda is posted for public review at Counterpoint Records and Books 5911 Franklin Ave, on our website at www.MyHUNC.com, and with EmpowerLA. In compliance with Government Code section 54957.5, non-exempt writings that are distributed to a majority or all of the board in advance of a meeting may be viewed at the scheduled meeting (or location noted in the Agenda item) or by making arrangements with our office (contact information above). As a covered entity under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodation to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. Sign language interpreters, assistive listening devices, or other auxiliary aids and/or services may be provided upon request. To ensure availability of services, please make your request at least 3 business days (72 hours) prior to the meeting you wish to attend by contacting the Neighborhood Council Support Help Line (213) 978-1551 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note: Agenda items may be taken out of order or merged as deemed appropriate by the Board. Action may be taken on all items. To subscribe directly to our Agendas, go to http://hollywoodunitednc.org/wp/newsletter/
- Roll Call
- Approval of Minutes
- Public Comment on items not on the Agenda (2 minutes each)
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board file a CIS opposing Council File 14-1057-S8 Los Angeles Municipal Code (LAMC) / Section 85.02 / Safe Parking / Urgency Clause / Extension of Expiration Date
First: Blumenthal (CD 3) Second: O’Farrell (CD 13) Rodriguez (CD 7); Currently In: Homelessness and Poverty Committee; Last Action: 11/26/19
Summary: City Council requests the City Attorney to prepare and present an Ordinance to extend Los Angeles Municipal Code Section 85.02 for six months, and that the ordinance include an urgency clause.
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board file a CIS in support of Council File 19-0002-S185 Homeless Affordable Housing / Supportive Housing Units / California Environmental Quality Act / Exemption
First: Ryu (CD 4) Second: Buscaino (CD 15) Harris-Dawson (CD 8); Currently In: Rules, Elections, and Intergovernmental Relations Committee; Last Action: 11/15/19
Summary: The City of Los Angeles hereby includes in its 2019-20 State Legislative Program to SEEK/SPONSOR or SUPPORT legislation that would exempt from the California Environmental Quality Act all housing developments with 50 percent or more units set aside for homeless housing, as well as housing developments with 100 percent affordable or supportive housing units in the City of Los Angeles.
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board file a CIS in support of Council File 19-0002-S153 United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) / Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) / Rule Change http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2019/19-0002-s153_reso_08-14-2019.pdf
First: Ryu (CD 4) Second: Wesson (CD 10); Currently In: Rules, Elections, and Intergovernmental Relations Committee; Last Action: 9/26/19
Summary: The City of Los Angeles hereby includes in its 2019-2020 Federal Legislative Program OPPOSITION to USDA’s proposed rule change relating to broad-based eligibility for SNAP which would change the definition of “benefits” to mean ongoing and substantial benefits and restrict the non-cash assistance which would qualify recipients for categorical eligibility for SNAP to subsidized employment, work training, and child care.
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board file a CIS in support of Council File 19-0002-S186 Amazon Rainforest Deforestation / Multinational Corporations / Agricultural Products Purchasing Ban
First: Koretz (CD 5) Ryu (CD 4) Second: Blumenfield (CD 3); Currently In: Rules, Elections, and Intergovernmental Relations Committee; Last Action: 11/15/19.
Summary: The City of Los Angeles hereby includes in its 2019-2020 State and Federal Legislative Programs SUPPORT for any legislation that would require clear labeling of any product sourced from the Amazon or any other rainforest.
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board file a CIS in support of Council File 19-0882 Provision at No Cost / Feminine Hygiene Products / All Restrooms at City-owned Facilities http://clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2019/19-0882_mot_08-06-2019.pdf
First: Blumenfield (CD 3) Second: Rodriguez (CD 7); Currently In: Information, Technology, and General Services Committee; Last Action: 12/11/19. Summary: The City Council instructs the Department of Recreation and Parks and the Department of General Services to report on the feasibility and costs of providing feminine hygiene products at no cost at all restrooms in City-owned facilities and to identify any City facilities that currently offer free feminine hygiene products
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board update the Homeless services guide for the winter
- Discussion and possible motion to recommend the board write a letter of support for the Kingdom Warriors plan of addressing homelessness to City Council
- Committee Member announcements on items not on the Agenda
- Old/Ongoing Business
- New/Future Business
A simple majority vote by the Board members present, not including abstentions, at a meeting at which there is a quorum, shall be required to take official action, unless specified otherwise in the Bylaws (http://hollywoodunitednc.org/wp/bylaws-standing-rules-and-financial-procedures/). Reconsideration: The Board may reconsider and amend its action on items listed on the agenda if that reconsideration takes place before the end of the meeting at which it was considered or at the next regular meeting. The Board, on either of these two days, shall: (1) Make a Motion for Reconsideration and, if approved, (2) hear the matter and take an action. If the motion to reconsider an action is to be scheduled at the next meeting following the original action, then two items shall be placed on the agenda for that meeting: (1) A Motion for Reconsideration on the described matter and (2) a [Proposed] action should the motion to reconsider be approved. A Motion for Reconsideration can only be made by a Board member who has previously voted on the prevailing side of the original action taken. If a Motion for Reconsideration is not made on the date the action was taken, then a Board member on the prevailing side of the action must submit a memorandum to the Recording Secretary identifying the matter to be reconsidered and a brief description of the reason(s) for requesting reconsideration at the next regular meeting. The aforesaid shall all be in compliance with the Ralph M. Brown Act.